Normally I leave these plain, but just for the holiday we added a little cheery icing and sprinkles.
3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1 egg, beaten
4 tablespoons molasses
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
turbinado sugar for dipping
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
- Cream butter, add sugar gradually until consistently smooth.
- Blend in beaten egg and molasses.
- Gradually stir flour mixture into creamed mixture.
- Chill dough 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Shape dough into small balls and dip tops in turbinado sugar.
- Place cookies on WELL greased cookie sheet or silicone mat. DO NOT FLATTEN.
- Bake 7-9 minutes.
- Let cool 2 minutes before moving to cooling rack.