EGGNOG SUGAR COOKIES yields 2 dozen 1 ½ inch cookies
1 1⁄8 cups all purpose flour
¹⁄³ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon FRESHLY grated nutmeg
½ cup unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line baking sheet with silicone mat.
- Using your mixer on low speed combine flour, powdered sugar, salt and nutmeg until well blended.
- Increase speed to medium and add butter 1 piece at a time until dough starts to form into a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a disc.
- Wrap in plastic and chill 30 minutes minimum.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough to a 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies with a 2 inch cutter and use a metal spatula to place cookies on silicone sheet.
- Return any dough scraps to plastic wrap in the refrigerator .
- Bake 15-18 minutes when edges begin to brown.
- Completely cool in pans before icing.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
1 ½ cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons prepared eggnog
scant 1 tablespoon Bourbon
LEMON and/or ORANGE zest, for garnish
- Whisk together the sugar, Bourbon and 1 tablespoon of the eggnog at a time, until you have a thin glaze consistency.
- Spread glaze on cookies.
- Garnish with zest.
- Allow icing on cookies to set 30 minutes or until completely set.
- Store in airtight container.
EGG NOG CUPCAKES with RUM CARAMEL
Yield: about 18-20 cupcakes Recipe adapted from: Annie’s Eats
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
¼ cup dark rum or bourbon (optional)
1 cup eggnog
¼ cup oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350˚.
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the rum, eggnog, vegetable oil, vinegar, and sugar.
- Beat on medium-low speed until well blended.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling the cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
6 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
3/8 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup rum
- Whisk together the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and whisk over high heat until sugar is dissolved. Don’t stir the mixture but gently swirl the pan until it has reached a dark brown amber color.
- At that point whisk in the butter. (Careful- it will bubble up- don’t burn yourself.)
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream and bourbon.
- Allow caramel to cool in the fridge before filling/drizzling.
2 sticks of butter
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons egg nog
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt
- Using an electric mixer, beat the softened butter until it is creamy and pale.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar until thick and creamy.
- Add the egg nog one tablespoon at a time until the texture seems right.
- Add the nutmeg and salt and beat for another minute or so.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, scoop a tablespoon-size amount out of each one with a small spoon or paring knife.
- Fill with the caramel.
- Pipe on frosting and drizzle with remaining caramel or a chocolate glaze which is my favorite.
- Sprinkle with a dash of nutmeg and enjoy!
Submitted to FULL PLATE THURSDAY @Miz Helen’s Country Cottage.