BUFFALO CHICKEN LASAGNA
Barilla ready to bake lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon avocado oil
3/4 pound ground chicken
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small carrot, grated
1 small stalk celery, diced
1 can ROTEL original tomatoes, drained VERY WELL
2 tablespoons chicken broth
3/4 cup Frank’s original Hot Sauce
8 ounces ricotta cheese
FRESH ground salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
3/4 cup bleu cheese crumbles
3/4 cup grated jack cheese
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1 small egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9×9 deep baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large skillet heat avocado oil over medium high heat.
- Add chicken, onion, carrot and celery, stirring until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
- Add garlic and cook a minute more until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes, hot sauce, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low simmer, cover and cook 45 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the ricotta cheese and egg until smooth and well blended.
- Add parsley and bleu cheese mixing until well blended.
- Toss together the jack, cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
- Add 1/3 of chicken mixture to baking dish.
- Top with a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Add a thin layer of chicken mixture.
- Top with a layer of the ricotta mixture.
- Top with a layer of the cheeses.
- Repeat layers 2 more times.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes.
- Uncover, bake another 20-25 minutes until bubbly and cheese is golden.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I saw this on Damaris Phillip’s show, Southern at Heart and fell in love almost immediately! I made just a few alterations to fit with what I had on hand, but we love it and have had it several times, several ways since.
BUFFALO CHICKEN MEATLOAF
TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 25 min COOK TIME: 1 hour PREP TIME: 25 min
1/3 cup ketchup**
1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Whisk together the ketchup and hot sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup diced celery (2-3 stalks) + leaves reserved for garnish
1 cup small diced onion or shallot
3 tablespoons Frank’s original hot sauce
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
1 cup blue cheese crumbles (GORGONZOLA works well too as does sharp cheddar)
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons FRESH coarse ground black pepper
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and saute the celery and onion until softened, 3- 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture, plus the drippings, to a large bowl.
- Add the hot sauce to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken, blue cheese, salt, pepper, eggs and 1 1/2 cups of the panko and mix until well combined.
- Press the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, pressing more in the center of the loaf to create a divot. This will allow the meatloaf to bake evenly and not create a mound after it is baked.
- Spread half of the sauce over the top of the meatloaf.
- Mix the Parmesan with the Panko and sprinkle the mixture on top of the sauce.
- Bake until the center is set and the top is golden brown, 45 minutes to an hour.
- Let rest 10-15 minutes before cutting to serve.
- Garnish the meatloaf slices with remaining heated sauce and chopped celery leaves.
**NOTE: Use jalapeno ketchup if you want a bit more spice.