CREAM OF POTATO HAM SOUP
1 pound YUKON gold potatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1 ½ cup water
1 teaspoon FRESH ground Pink Himalayan salt
1 teaspoon FRESH ground tri-color peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
3 tablespoons butter
1 large shallot, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons Wondra flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups small diced ham steak
Grated sharp cheddar cheese for garnish
- Bring water and chicken broth to a boil in a dutch oven.
- Add potatoes and cook JUST until fork tender.
- Remove potatoes and save 2 cups of the broth. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, dice one third of the potatoes.
- Toss the diced potatoes with a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Mash two-thirds of the potatoes with 1 cup of the steaming broth, whisking until smooth.**
- Melt butter in large sauce pan.
- Add shallot, sauteing until soft.
- Add the garlic, sauteing until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in flour, stirring to blend until golden.
- Slowly whisk in the whole milk, heavy cream and remaining 1 cup of broth.
- Stir in Cream of Sherry and thyme. Simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in potato puree.
- Season to taste.
- Add ham pieces, cooking a few minutes until ham is heated through.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Serve immediately.
**NOTE: DO NOT use a food processor. Your potatoes will become gummy.