3/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 cups flour
- Spray muffin tin thoroughly.
- Mix the molasses and sugar together until well mixed.
- Add the water and butter. Beat well.
- Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
- Sift the ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and flour together.
- Add dry mixture to the wet mixture and blend well.
- Fill muffin slots 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Cool & then ice.
BROWN SUGAR ICING
2 egg whites, beaten stiffly
2 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cook sugar and water together until it “clicks” when a little is dropped into cold water
- Pour the syrup SLOWLY over the stiffly beaten egg whites
- Beat vigorously until cool and creamy
- Add the vanilla and beat smooth.
- Ice cupcakes*
*If the icing gets hard before it is cool, add 2 tablespoons of water and continue beating. The secret of good icing is steady, constant beating.
by Louise Bennett Weaver and Helen Cowles LeCron