“Lower your cholesterol. Doctor’s orders!” That’s what my husband and I have been told. The doctor said the best way to do this would be to eat meals lower in fat. So… I have had to change the way I cook. We’re a family who loves our beef, so I searched for some lowfat options, and I’m happy to say I found this great beef and penne recipe that is not only low in fat, but also tasty and (better yet) easy! The family liked it, too, as you can see. They started serving it before I took my photo. I’d love to know if you try it!
• 1/2 pound penne pasta
• 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes (I used diced Italian tomatoes)
• 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce, no salt added
• 1 teaspoon oregano (I used Italian seasoning and doubled it)
• 1 pound lean or extra-lean ground beef (Laura’s Lean Beef is a great option)
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella and cheddar cheese blend (I used mozzarella only)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil pasta according to instructions on package. Do not overcook. Drain and set aside. 3.Meanwhile, in a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, saute onions and ground beef on a medium to high heat until the beef is browned.Add crushed tomatoes, sauce and oregano, and stir well. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4.Empty pasta into a 2 quart baking dish; add beef and tomato mixture and toss well to coat. 5.Sprinkle with cheese blend and bake for 25 minutes.
• Serves 4-6
• Per Serving: Calories 299, Calories from Fat 60, Total Fat 6.6g (sat 3.2g), Cholesterol 54mg, Sodium 216mg, Carbohydrate 35.3g, Fiber 3.1g, Protein 24.5g