We used to go to this little seaside town when we needed to get away and there was this really awesome seafood restaurant that was an old converted Victorian cottage/house, accepted only cash and always had a long line waiting for them to open their doors at dinner time. They served awesome seafood of course, but also THE BEST apple blackberry cobbler, I fell in love with the blackberry apple combination and use it whenever I can. I normally make my own dough, but opted today for some Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry I had in the freezer. They leaked just a little bit, they cleaned up pretty easy!
APPLE BLACKBERRY TURNOVERS
yields 8 turnovers
1 1/4 cups blackberry pieces
1 large Gala or Pink Lady apple, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
1 large egg yolk, whipped
1 teaspoon water
1 tablespoon sugar
- Thaw puff pastry according to package directions.
- Lightly flour puff pastry and roll to flatten.
- Toss apple pieces, blackberry pieces, sea salt, cinnamon, apple pie spice and brown sugar until well blended.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 4 pieces.
- Whisk together the egg yolk and water.
- Brush 2 sides of each pastry piece with the egg wash.
- Divide the apple mixture amongst the pastry pieces.
- Bring the points together to form triangles and press firmly together.
- Brush the tops with the remaining egg wash and then sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- With a sharp knife put 2 small slits in the top as steam vents.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.