I’ve made quite a few rich, gooey, and decadent desserts in the past year, but this bar, courtesy of Mark Bittman, may take honors in the rich, gooey, and decadent category. It’s sweet and bursting with delicious butterscotch flavor just by itself, but in my quest to create a dessert for a little competition, I took it over the top with a few dollops of Nutella. The pan size is only a 9×9, but don’t be fooled into thinking this dessert won’t satisfy a group, as you must cut this into small squares, and one square will satiate your desire for something sweet.
Nutella Swirl Blondies
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and line with parchment or foil a 9×9 or 8×8 pan; set aside.
- Beat melted butter and brown sugar together until well mixed.
- Add egg and vanilla, and continue to beat until mixed.
- Stir in salt and flour.
- Remove 1 cup of the batter and set aside; pour remaining batter into prepared pan.
- Stir reserved batter and Nutella until well mixed; dollop onto batter and swirl with a butter knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool before lifting bars from pan; cut into small squares to serve.
Recipe adapted from Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything