STRAWBERRY LEMON POUND CAKE
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Juice from 3 lemons to equal 1/4 cup lemon juice, plus 1/3 cup
Meanwhile, make the glaze:
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the remaining 1/3 cup lemon juice until the sugar is dissolved.
When the cake is done, let cool in the pan 15 minutes (it will still be warm).
- Run a knife around the sides of the pan.
- Set a wire rack on a sheet pan with sides (to catch the glaze) and turn the cake out onto the rack.
- Peel off the waxed paper.
- Using a turkey baster or pastry brush, spread glaze all over the top and sides of the cake and let soak in. Repeat until the entire glaze is used up, including any glaze that has dripped through onto the sheet pan.
- Let cool at room temperature. Store in refrigerator.
1-2 large box(es) strawberries, washed and sliced
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup water