I found this recipe in Woman’s World, but immediately thought I needed to change it to be a bit less heavy and with no bones. The original recipe called for bone in, skin on chicken breasts. We just don’t do skin on chicken unless it is that occasional Cajun fried chicken breast or chicken fried chicken steak. I hate bone in chicken unless it’s at a picnic and fried or BBQed. Even with my changes this was a real treat!
PARMESAN PEPPERONI CHICKEN aka PIZZA CHICKEN
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
8-12 pieces pepperoni
2-4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 small red onion, sliced thin into rings
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice from 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay chicken breast in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with pepperoni slices.
- Top with garlic and onion slices.
- Top with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and Mozzarella is beginning to brown.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.