I’m continuing my experimentation streak with a recipe torn from the pages of an unknown magazine that was originally titled Grilled Chicken with Cola Sauce. I made a few changes to accommodate my family’s likes and my pantry and am VERY pleased with the final recipe.
Since it’s just the 2 of us I also make two recipes at a time when I need to use the grill – it’s just plain easier! LOL the hard part is making sure that I use the right sauce on the right meat.
GRILLED PEPSI CHICKEN
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 large shallot, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 ounces (3/4 cup) Pepsi
1/3 cup Hunt’s Jalapeno ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat swirl oil to coat. Heat oil for a minute or two.
- Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic sauteing for a minute more until fragrant, stirring constantly.
- Add Pepsi, Hunt’s Jalapeno ketchup, apple cider vinegar Worcestershire sauce and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes or until sauce has reduced to 3/4 cup. Set aside 1/3 cup in reserve, keep warm.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, paprika, salt and cumin until well blended.
- Rub chicken completely with sugar rub.
- Spray grill rack with PAM.
- Arrange chicken on the grill and baste with sauce.
- Grill 5 minutes, baste again and cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve with reserved sauce.