SALTED CARAMEL CHOCOLATE NUT BARS – the ultimate cookie bar for those that LOVE both sweet and salty mixed together! adapted (but not by much!) from Brown Eyed Baker
Yield: 16 cookie bars Prep:15 minutes
Cook:30 minutes Total:45 minutes
2 1/8 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips**
1/2 cup Heath Bar Toffee Bits
10 ounces caramel candy squares, unwrapped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons heavy cream or buttermilk
Fleur de sel (Sea salt), for sprinkling over caramel and bars
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Grease a 12×5 inch baking pan and line with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, mix together the melted butter and sugars on medium speed until combined.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix on low, just until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, toffee bits and walnuts.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels and heavy cream.
- Microwave on high until the caramels are melted, stirring every 20 seconds. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Press half of the cookie dough into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Pour the hot caramel over the dough cookie dough and spread into an even layer, leaving about ½ inch around the border.
- Sprinkle the caramel with sea salt.
- Drop the remaining cookie dough in spoonfuls over the caramel and gently spread the dough with a spatula until the caramel is covered.
- Sprinkle the bars with additional sea salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top of the bars are light golden brown and the edges start to pull away from the pan.
- Place the pan on a wire rack and cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow the caramel layer to set.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
NOTE: ** I like to use mixture of peanut butter and milk chocolate chips.
Leave a reply