ROAST LEMON CHICKEN
3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (breasts and thighs)
1/2 cup salt
1 teaspoon avocado oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 heaping tablespoons WONDRA flour
1 cup chicken broth
Juice of 2 MEDIUM lemons
ZEST of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- Dissolve salt in 2 quarts of cold water.
- Submerge chicken pieces in brine and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Remove chicken and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 475°.
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Place chicken skin side down in skillet and cook 8-10 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove chicken from pan and wipe clean.
- Add butter to skillet. When melted add the shallot and garlic until fragrant.
- Sprinkle with flour, stirring until golden.
- Slowly pour in broth and lemon juice, stirring until well blended. Bring to a simmer, cooking sauce until is slightly reduced and thickened to desired consistency.
- Stir in most of the lemon zest and remove from heat.
- Add chicken back into the sauce, turning to coat.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake uncovered 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let stand, tented for 5 minutes.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, spooning sauce around chicken and over the potatoes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
NOTE: Pouring the sauce “AROUND” the chicken instead of “OVER” it when you put it in the oven keeps the skin crispier. I then ladle a spoonful of sauce over it as I serve it.
Thank you for sharing at #OverTheMoon. Pinned and shared. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too!