BEER BRAISED CHICKEN
1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer (preferably brown ale) I used MGD
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
1/2 pound small red-skinned new or gold potatoes, halved
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard (optional)
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the bacon and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bacon pieces with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off the excess.
- Add the avocado oil to the drippings in the pot.
- Add the chicken in batches and cook over medium-high heat until golden on the bottom, 4-5 minutes, then flip and sear the other side, about 1 minute.
- Add the beer, onions, potatoes, mustard, sugar, thyme leaves and 1 cup chicken broth to the pot and stir, making sure the chicken is fully submerged.
- Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the bacon and parsley.