CHICKEN RAMEN IN SHOYU BROTH with MUSHROOMS, CHILI GARLIC OIL & CRISPY ONIONS adapted from a Hello Fresh recipe
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 thumb ginger, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
2 tablespoon Bragg’s liquid aminos
5 ounces FRESH Spinach (optional)
3 LARGE green onions, sliced thin, whites and greens separated
2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
1 tablespoon chopped lemon thyme leaves
8 ounces BEECH mushrooms
1 tablespoon sesame oil
6 ounces ramen noodles
4 cups homemade chicken stock
2 LARGE chicken breasts
Crispy fried onions
2 tablespoons avocado oil
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry produce. Peel and mince garlic.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine sesame seeds, half the garlic, half the sesame oil (you’ll use the rest later), a drizzle of avocado oil, a big pinch of salt, and chili flakes to taste. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave until fragrant, 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Once water is boiling, add noodles to pot. Cook, stirring until JUST tender, 1-2 minutes. Drain, then toss noodles with a drizzle of sesame oil.
- Heat a drizzle of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add scallion whites, ginger, and remaining garlic. Cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Stir in chicken broth and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until ready to serve.
- While broth simmers, pat chicken dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Drizzle with remaining sesame oil and turn chicken a few times to coat.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board to rest.
- Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt to pan used for chicken over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and softened, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add a drizzle of oil to pan, then add spinach if using. Cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2-3 minutes; season with salt. Turn off heat.
- Slice chicken crosswise.
- Divide noodles between large soup bowls. Pour some broth over noodles.
- Stir in as much chili garlic oil as you like.
- Top each bowl with chicken, mushrooms, spinach, and scallion greens.
- Sprinkle with a few crispy onions and serve.