FRUIT CRUMBLE BARS adapted from Mary Berg
Yield: 9 + servings
These are a quick and easy recipe for crumb bars made with a buttery coconut crumble topping and sweet fruit filling. It’s a perfect!
2 cups (270 grams) flour
1/2 cup (60 grams) rolled (old fashioned) oats
1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened desiccated coconut
1/2 cup (100 grams) packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
1/2 cup (250 milliliters) coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons (2 1/2 milliliters) PURE vanilla extract
1 cup (370 grams) cherry jam or flavor of choice – see note
- Preheat to 350°.
- Adjust oven rack to the lower third of the oven.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, oats, coconut, brown sugar and salt to combine.
- Pour the melted coconut oil, melted butter, and vanilla extract over the oat mixture, mixing with a hand mixer JUST until combined.
- Press two thirds of the dough into the bottom of your prepared baking pan.
- Spread an even layer of jam over the oat layer.
- Squeeze and crumble the remaining dough EVENLY into small crumble pieces over top the jam.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown and the jam is bubbling.
- Allow the bars to cool COMPLETELY before lifting out of the pan and cutting into squares.
- Strawberry, apricot, peach, , blueberry, blackberry, raspberry or even apricot pineapple preserves all work really well.
- You can also substitute cherry pie filling in a pinch. If you do, try to get more fruit and less glaze.