Another “vintage” recipe from my friend’s grandmother’s “antique” recipe box. This type of recipe was once a staple of the working mother in many American households. I believe it was originally found on the back of a Campbell’s soup can label. I also adapted her recipe “slightly” to add a bit more flavor and texture. Quite a tasty and crunchy satisfying meal. 😀 I made this in honor of my late brother-in-law. He would have LOVED this casserole. Today would have been his birthday.
BROCCOLI CHICKEN DIVAN
2-3 small broccoli crowns, trimmed, cut into florets and rinsed
1 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken pieces
1 can Campbell’s broccoli cheese soup
1/3 cup milk
1/2 + 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup small diced red onion
2 cups prepared rice
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoon Panko bread crumbs
- Grease a shallow 2-3 quart baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Blanch broccoli florets 3-4 minutes in boil water, drain WELL and set aisde.
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk and condensed soup until smooth.
- Fold in 1/2 cup cheese, onion, chicken pieces, rice and broccoli florets.
- Season with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Arrange mixture into baking dish, spread smooth.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cheese.
- Mix Panko crumbs into melted butter until well mixed.
- Sprinkle on top of cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until cheese is melted, casserole is heated through and bread crumbs have turned golden.