CLASSIC BEEF STROGANOFF
1 1/4 pounds sirloin tips, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 teaspoons Bragg’s liquid aminos
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 pound mushrooms, sliced thin **
2 teaspoons hot water
1 tablespoon Coleman’s dry mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
Fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 large shallot, diced fine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons Wondra flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
- Poke each piece of meat with a fork
- In a mixing bowl toss meat pieces with Bragg’s liquid aminos, cover and marinate 1 hour.
- While meat is marinating prep mushrooms.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauce until soft and caramelizeng.
- Drain mushrooms and set aside.
- Whisk together the water and mustard powder with the sugar, and some pepper just until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
- Pat meat dry with paper toweling.
- Season with fresh ground pepper.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add beef pieces and sear on ALL sides, reducing heat as necessary to prevent burning. Transfer eat to plate.
- Add Add onions and saute until caramelized and browning.
- Add in the tomato sauce and flour, stirring to blend.
- Stir in beef broth, mustard paste and wine until well blended and bring to a SLOW simmer, cooking until slightly reduced and starting to thicken.
- Fold meat pieces and mushrooms into the sauce and cook a couple minutes more until heated through.
- Remove from heat and fold in sour cream.
- Serve immediately over buttered noodles.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
*NOTE*: I prefer thin sliced mushrooms, but some prefer larger mushrooms in which case you should use 1 pound and quarter them.
OR You can make this version of the same basic style meal – just depends on your flavor palette:
DEVILED STEAK TIPS serves 4-6
2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
2 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons Wondra flour
3/4 cup beef broth
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon creamy horseradish
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Fresh ground sea salt and black pepper
- Pat beef dry.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add half the beef and cook until well browned on all sides, turning as needed, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove beef with a slotted spoon to a bowl and add second batch.
- Remove second batch with slotted spoon.
- Add remaining oil to the pan.
- When oil is hot, add onion and season with salt, sautéing until soft.
- Add garlic and season with pepper.
- Add in flour and stir to blend, cooking until golden.
- Whisk in tomato sauce, beef broth, vinegar, horseradish, mustard and water. Be sure to scrape up any browned bits from the pan bottom.
- Return beef and any accumulated juices to the skillet.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally 1 – 1 1/2 hours until sauce is thickened and meat is tender.
- Season to taste and serve over buttered noodles.
SHARING with FOODIE FRIDAY and FULL PLATE THURSDAY.