1 Jumbo egg
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 large slice white bread, crusts removed, and bread torn into 1-inch pieces
8 ounces ground pork, double ground
8 ounces ground beef, double ground
1 medium onion, grated or minced
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
Olive Oil, heavy coat
- Whisk egg and cream together in small bowl. Stir in bread and set aside to soak.
- Blend hamburger & pork, onion, nutmeg, allspice, pepper, brown sugar, and salt smooth and uniform.
- Using fork, mash bread mixture until no large dry bread chunks remain.
- Add mixture to beef mixture and blend until well mixed.
- Form 1-inch round meatballs. You’ll have about 25-30.
- Heat oil in 10-inch straight-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add meatballs in single layer and fry, turning several times, until lightly browned on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Adjust heat as needed to keep oil sizzling but not smoking.
- Transfer browned meatballs to paper towel-lined plate.
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
Table salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pour off and discard the oil in pan.
- Return pan to medium-high heat and add butter. Once melted, add flour and cook, stirring constantly with whisk, until flour is light brown.
- Slowly whisk in broth, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits.
- Add brown sugar and bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until sauce is reduced to about 1 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream and return to simmer.
- Add meatballs back to sauce and simmer, turning occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice; season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over noodles.