CARROTS & APRICOTS
1 pound fresh carrots, washed and shredded
6-8 large dried apricots, sliced into thin strips
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons water*
1 tablespoon sugar*
1 tablespoon red wine wine vinegar*
- In a large skillet heat water and butter over a medium high heat.
- Add carrots and apricots and saute’ for several minutes.
- Sprinkle sugar over it all and add vinegar.
- Stir and cook rapidly until glazed.
- Serves 4
*you can substitute orange juice for water, but when I do this I also substitute brown sugar for the white and apple cider vinegar for the red wine vinegar.
BAKED BEETS 1
- Wash and cut tops back about 2 inches.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake about an hour.
- Remove from oven, cool and then peel.
- Serve with fresh butter.
2 large beets, washed and dried
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place beets in a roasting pan, cover with foil, and bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours until tender.
- Cool until easy to handle, if you are in a real hurry you can dip them in ice water.
- Peel. If the beets are small, serve whole; otherwise slice, dice, mash or cut into julienne strips.
- Place in a saucepan with salt, pepper, and butter and warm, uncovered, over low heat, shaking pan gently, 2 to 3 minutes. If mashing add a bit of heavy cream to sweeten them.
Baked beets are mellower, sweeter, and nuttier than boiled.