This soup turned out sooooooooooooooooo good and tasted great even in the summer. I can’t wait to have it on a cold winter’s eve.
Tasty Tuesday is hosted by Jen over at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Tuesdays at the Table is normally hosted by Andrea over at My Chihauhau Bites but Andrea is taking a break while she has her baby. The button will take you to Andrea’s site, but TATT is being hosted by Cole for a while.
FRENCH ONION & TOMATO SOUP
4 tablespoons salted butter
3 medium Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
3 medium hot house tomatoes
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon minced garlic, jar
6 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon Better than Beef Bouillon
1 tablespoon kitchen bouquet
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
4 thin slices french or sourdough bread, toasted
4 slices Gruyere cheese*
- Melt butter in bottom of stock pot.
- Separate onions into rings and add to butter. Cook until tender and golden.
- Add flour and blend well with butter mixture and onions.
- Add broth, beef bouillon, kitchen bouquet, paprika, onion powder, celery salt, sea salt and pepper and stir well.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Toast bread and then butter it.
- Ladle soup into 4 oven proof bowls that have been put on a cookie sheet for easier handling.
- Place 1 slice of toast over top of soup.
- Lay 1 slice of cheese on top of toast.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Another great option is to use these cheesy baked croutons to top the soup. Both ways are super yummy!
BAKED CHEESY CROUTONS
6 slices thick sourdough bread
butter, melted, enough to coat bread
½ cup Fontina Cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
Yields: 6 BOWLS
Time to make: 1½ hr