FRENCH ONION SOUP
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon sugar
4 medium onions, thinly sliced**
1 tablespoon flour
4 cups hot water
1 cup mild red wine
2 tablespoons Superior Touch Better than Bouillon Beef Base
1 tablespoon kitchen bouquet
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
4 thin slices french or sourdough bread, toasted
4 slices aged white cheddar cheese*
- Melt butter in bottom of stock pot.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Separate onions into rings and add to butter. Cook until tender and golden.
- Add flour and blend well with butter mixture and onions.
- Add water, beef granules, kitchen bouquet, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Toast bread and then butter it.
- Ladle soup into 4 oven proof bowls that have been put on a cookie sheet for easier handling.
- Place 1 slice of toast over top of soup.
- Lay 1 slice of cheese on top of toast.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
*mozzarella cheese works well too
**I like a mix of Vidalia, Bermuda, white and yellow onions