My friend Melinda knows my love of all things cranberry, so when she saw this recipe in Ina Garten’s How Easy is That? cookbook, she called my attention to it immediately. I was smitten and couldn’t wait to make it. Since my mother & sister were coming over to bake cuccidati on Sunday, I decided to bake it for them. Both live an hour away, so they rarely get to sample all of the goodies I bake.
Easy Cranberry & Apple Cake
1 12 ounce bag cranberries, picked over and rinsed
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
3 large eggs (The recipe called for 2 extra-large, but I only had large, so I used 3)
1 cup +1 tablespoon sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place cranberries, apple, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and cinnamon in a 13×9 casserole dish or a 10″ pie plate. Mix together and set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat eggs for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup sugar, mleted butter, vanilla, and sour cream. Beat until combined
- Add flour and salt.
- Pour batter over fruit, covering fruit entirely.
- Mix the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon together; sprinkle cinnamon sugar over batter.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.