Chicken and Spinach Noodle Casserole
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
10 ounces package frozen chopped spinach, partially thawed
15 ounces container Ricotta cheese, part skim
3 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground pepper to taste
6 ounces wide noodles, not egg noodles
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon of the butter.
- Add the onion and garlic, cover and cook over low heat until the onion is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the spinach, increase heat to medium, cover and cook until the spinach has completely thawed.
- Uncover the spinach and stir it over slightly higher heat until all the excess liquid has evaporated. Let it cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the spinach mixture, Ricotta and Parmesan. Season with nutmeg and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling water. Do not salt water. Do not add oil to water. Season with onion powder and stir in keep from sticking.
- Drain and immediately stir into the cheese and spinach mixture.
- Butter a deep 1 to 1 1/2 quart baking dish with 1 teaspoon of butter and pack in the mixture.
- Dot the top with the remaining 1 teaspoon of butter and bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is brown and crusty. Let the casserole stand for 5 minutes before serving.
-I decided at the last minute to add some chicken to this dish so I cut up 2 chicken breasts.
-I used 2 garlic cloves.
-I added a handful of fresh, chopped parsley.
-I used about 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Put a pot of water on to boil for the noodles.
- Chop up an onion and 2 garlic cloves.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan.
- Chop up the chicken breasts and brown in the melted butter.
- Add the onion and garlic cloves and let it all cook for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add 3 big handfuls of semi-defrosted chopped spinach.
- Cover it and let it cook for another 6-7 minutes to totally defrost. I then uncovered it and cooked for a couple of more minutes.
- Put a container of ricotta cheese and about 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Add the noodles to the boiling water and cook until al dente. I used about 1/2 of a bag of egg noodles.
- Uncover the chicken mixture and throw in some fresh chopped parsley.
- Put the chicken mixture into the same bowl as the cheeses.
- Drain the noodles and add them in with the chicken and cheese.
- Spray a 9×9 baking dish (anything this size will work) and put the entire mixture in the dish.
- Cut up some pads of butter and put them on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.