CHICKEN FLORENTINE aka STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper*
1/3 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1 1/4 cup fresh baby spinach leaves**
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 bunch green onions, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 ounces Philadelphia cream cheese, softened or 2 ounces grated mozzarella
1 1/2 teaspoons flour
4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2-3 slices sourdough bread, staled and crumbled
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1+1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 egg white, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter add 1 teaspoon olive oil in skillet.
- Saute’ garlic, bell pepper and mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in spinach and cooked until spinach is completely wilted. If using frozen stir until well blended.
- Drain well.
- Combine cream cheese, flour and spinach mix until well blended and set aside.
- Between 2 sheets of wax paper flatten each chicken breast to 1/4 inch and set aside.
- Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Add 1 tablespoon melted butter and mix until crumbly.
- Divide the spinach mixture equally between the chicken breasts.
- Carefully roll each chicken breast.
- Using a pastry brush coat each chicken bundle with the beaten egg and then roll in coating mixture.
- Place seam side down on a small baking sheet or stoneware pan (I prefer the stoneware pan for a crisper, non-greasy chicken)
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown in color and juices are clear.
*I like to make this recipe back to back on my weekly menu with Twisted Pepper Steak to make the red pepper usage more efficient, use jar (olive oil soaked) red peppers or I substitute a jar of pimentos in a pinch.
** You can use frozen chopped, but it must be drained well and then drained a few more times until dry!!