2 to 3 stalks rhubarb, trimmed well (3 Cups)
1 small loaf white bread (6 ounces), crusts removed (3+ cups)
1 stick butter, melted, plus 2 tablespoons sliced thin
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into thin wedges
1/2 cup + 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut rhubarb into 1/4-inch-thick cubes.
- Tear bread into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Spray a shallow 1-quart baking dish with PURE.
- In medium bowl, combine melted butter and bread pieces; cover bottom of dish with 1 to 1 1/2 cups bread pieces.
- In another bowl, combine rhubarb, apple, 1/2 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Grate zest; add to mixture.
- Let sit until juices begin to run, about 5 minutes.
- Spread half of rhubarb mixture over bread pieces.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup more bread pieces.
- Add remaining rhubarb mixture and juices; cover with remaining bread pieces.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Dot with 2 tablespoons butter slices.
- Cover; bake 25 to 35 minutes on the middle rack, until rhubarb is tender.
- Increase heat to 400 degrees; uncover, and bake 10 to 15 minutes more, until rhubarb is soft, top is crusty, and juices begin to bubble at edges of baking dish.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.