Out of my grams archive I found this awesome little recipe that would be perfect for baby or bridal showers. Grams notes on the side suggested using food color to alter the cookies for the appropriate event. I also highly recommend keeping these cookies refrigerated as they will melt! Next time I will go a step farther and freeze them for an hour and then quick dip them in melted almond bark.
Using extracts you can also change the flavor to just about anything you wanted. I’m curious what a blackberry almond combo would be like.
CREAM CHEESE PEPPERMINT COOKIES
8 ounces cream cheese softened
1/2 cup crisco shortening
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
8-9+ cups powdered sugar
- Line your baking sheet with wax paper.
- Using a stand mixer cream together the shortening and cream cheese.
- Add extracts and beat until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar until dough is soft and elastic.
- Roll into small balls.
- Use a fork to hash mark the top and slightly flatten each cookie,
- Cover and chill overnight.
I filled a few of the hash marks with some hot fudge I made recently and the guys loved them.