I’m a BIG believer in buying local. I also love when we move to a new area and there are so many new things to try. My newest favorite is FACE ROCK CREAMERY cheese based out of Bandon, Oregon a quaint little seaside town that we visited not to long ago when our son and DIL were visiting. I’ll add a few of those pictures after the recipe. I tried a sample of FACE ROCK CREAMERY Jack cheese at Costco the other day and fell in love with their smooth and creamy cheese. On a whim I bought their Vampire Slayer Garlic Cheddar and found a new favorite way to make an old comfort food on a cold and cloudy night.
Tonight because it is cold, foggy and miserable, I served it with left over Wagon Wheel Soup for a rib sticking good meal.
VAMPIRE SLAYER MAC & CHEESE
1 1/2 cups dried macaroni (elbows or shells)
3/4 cup heavy cream**
2 tablespoons butter
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
3/4 pound or 2 cups shredded FACE ROCK VAMPIRE SLAYER garlic cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Drain well.
- Using the same pan, melt butter and add cream until smooth.
- Add cheese a few pieces at a time, stirring until well blended.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in pasta.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with crispy onions or Garlic Croutons if desired.
- Bake 20 minutes or until heated through and golden on top.
**I found I was out of heavy cream, but wait, there is a substitute using what you have on hand.
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup 2% milk
1 tablespoon Wondra flour (this can be omitted if using whole milk)
- In a small saucepan, melt butter.
- Whisk in Wondra until golden.
- Add milk gradually, whisking until well blended and starts to thicken slightly.
COLD, BUT CLEAR JANUARY TRIP TO THE BANDON, OREGON COAST