The definition of Ragout is well seasoned meat and vegetables cooked in a thick sauce. Translated it means YUMMY, flavorful and perfect for a cold winter’s night.
BEEF RAGOUT with SALAD
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 pounds quality stew meat cut into bite sized pieces
4 tablespoons Classico Sun-dried tomato pesto
1 large can pureed tomatoes
1 cup baby carrots, halved
1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
2 large stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes, seasoned (I used basil, garlic & oregano)
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- Coat crock pot with non stick cooking spray.
- Stir together all the ingredients until well mixed.
- Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or 4-5 hours on low.
- Serve over pasta.
*Original recipe called for Pancetta, but I find it a bit too salty and expensive so just used quality bacon from my butcher.
ONION BACON VINAIGRETTE
4 slices bacon
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
1/2 cup Tarragon vinegar
3/4 cup cream sherry
1/4 cup Avpcado oil
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Add green onions to bacon grease and cook until tender.
- Add vinegar, simmering 5 minutes.
- Add cream sherry, simmering another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in oil.
- Fold in thyme leaves and bacon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers.