I KNOW THIS SOUNDS WEIRD. I flipped passed this recipe more than once before I decided to try it. Boy, am I glad I flipped back. These are AMAZING! I made a few modifications from the original recipe to accommodate allergies, likes and dislikes.
STRAWBERRY BAKED BEANS
1 pound strawberries, cleaned, hulled and halved
3 slices thick bacon
2 + 2 teaspoons avocado oil
1/2 cup jalapeno ketchup
1/4 cup strawberry jam
1/4 cup QUALITY champagne vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
3 cans Great Northern or Navy beans, drained well
- Coat strawberries with 2 teaspoons avocado oil. Roast on cookie sheet at 400° for 15 minutes or under broiler to char. Original recipe called for skewering strawberries and grill them, but roasting them work just as well without all the hassle.
- In a large sauce pan whisk together the ketchup, jam, balsamic vinegar, molasses, soy sauce, and strawberries. Cook over medium high heat until strawberries break down, about 15 minutes.
- Brown bacon until crisp. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and continue cooking until reduced by one third, about 15 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Heat reserved bacon grease in large oven proof skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper, sauteing until soft.
- Fold in the beans and sauce to the onion pepper mix.
- Cook 25 minutes or until sauce thickens.