I really wanted to make veggie burgers, but hubby nixed that idea before it left the gate. So, I came up with this recipe and he was half way thru before he even noticed the beans AND he cleaned his plate, so I’ll call it a success.
VEGGIE BURGERS – NOT
BEEF and BEAN BURGERS – makes 6 burgers
1 can seasoned black beans, drained
1 cup Panko
2 pounds ground chuck
1/4 cup grated onion or minced green onions
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh ground salt and black pepper
4 slices baby Swiss or aged white cheddar cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
toasted buns (I served them bunless)
lettuce, pickles and sliced tomato
1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Whisk together the mayonnaise and hot sauce to taste. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the bread crumbs, paprika, garlic, green onions, Worcestershire, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Using your hands mix in beans until well incorporated.
- Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Preheat 1 avocado oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Using your hands divide bean mixture into 6 balls and form 6 patties.
- Cook the burgers until browned, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Add a slice of cheese, cooking only until cheese is melted.
- Serve on toasted buns with mayo hot sauce, lettuce, tomatoes and pickles.