I found A recipe for Pepperoni Pizza Mac & Cheese in the recent issue of Cuisine at Home. It was NOT what we had hoped it would be (though it was good) so we made a few changes to help it be the GREAT recipe we thought it was going to be originally.
MEAT LOVER’S PIZZA MAC & CHEESE
2 cups dry penne pasta
3 oz. package pepperoni
2 mild Italian Sausages, skins removed
1 cup rotisserie chicken pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red pepper, diced
1/2 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup Wondra flour
3 1/2 cups whole milk
3 cups grated Provolone cheese
2 cups grated EXTRA sharp white cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup of your favorite Marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Prepare pasta per package directions. Drain.
- Set aside several pieces of pepperoni for the top. Mince the remaining pieces of pepperoni.
- In a large deep oven proof skillet heat the oil over a medium high heat.
- Brown the sausage and minced pepperoni. Remove meats to a paper towel lined plate to absorb the grease.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the drippings.
- Sweat the bell pepper, garlic, onion, oregano and red pepper flakes in the drippings until softened.
- Increase the heat and whisk in the flour until vegetables are well coated.
- Whisk in milk, stirring until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and gradually add Provolone, Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses whisking until smooth.
- Fold in Pepperoni, Sausage and Chicken pieces until well coated.
- Fold in Pasta.
- Top with reserved Pepperoni pieces and Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes until bubbly.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.