CHOCOLATE CHIP TOFFEE BARS
ADAPTED FROM Leigh Anne Wilkes at Your Home Based Mom
2 1/3 cup flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup chilled butter
1 egg slightly beaten
12 oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips**
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
10 oz. package Heath toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir together flour and brown sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg and blend well.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of this flour mixture.
- Press remaining flour mixture into a greased 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350°.
- Pour milk over hot crust and top with 1 1/2 cups of the toffee bits.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips into reserved crumb mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top.
- Top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake 25-30 more minutes.
- Top with remaining toffee bits.
NOTE**: I like to mix up the flavors and use milk chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, cinnamon chips, peanut butter chips… or any mixture there of. I also prefer the Heath toffee bits. Kraft caramel bits are also good.