STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD
5 ounces baby spinach
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 teaspoon warm bacon grease
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
2 1/2 tablespoons golden vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon olive oil
1 tablespoon sliced almonds (optional)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Toss together the spinach, strawberries and shallots in a large bowl.
- Toast the almonds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl or plate and set aside to cool.
- Start the bacon in a cold medium skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate; leave the bacon fat in the pan.
- Take the skillet off the heat and whisk in the mustard and sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the vinegar and then whisk in the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the bacon and almonds to the salad, pour over the bacon vinaigrette, and toss to coat. Serve immediately.