CEDAR PLANKED SALMON
adapted from Chris @Nibble Me This who adapted the Potlatch seasoning from Bobby Flay
4 salmon filets
2 lemons cut into 16 slices
1 teaspoon each fresh coarse ground Himalayan pink salt & black pepper
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flake
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic, smashed
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Preheat a charcoal grill set up for direct heat at 350°.
- Mix the spices together for the potlatch seasoning.
- Place half the lemon slices on the planks.
- Place the salmon fillets skin side down on planks and season liberally with the potlatch seasoning.
- Top each fillet with other half of lemon slices.
- Place the planks on the grill, close the lid and cook until the internal temperature of the salmon is 120-130°, about 7-9 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately. You can serve directly on the planks or remove it from the plank.
NOTES: There are several ways to test for doneness when grilling fish. These tips are from Chris @NIBBLE ME THIS from the Cooking Fish Fundamentals lesson at Rouxbe Online Cooking School.
- Test for doneness early and often.
- A rough guide is 10 minutes total per inch of thickness.
- Cook to an internal temp of 120-140° but fish with dense flesh (tuna, salmon) can be done at 120f.
- Check the inside flakes at the thickest place.