I found this recipe on FaceBook, but I have no idea who Bill is. I can tell you two things; it will replace ALL other chili recipes and I will be making his chili for the rest of my life… with a minor exception – I HATE kidney beans and a true chili for us Texans has no beans so this works for me. Other than that it was minor changes like using a chili grind size of ground beef.
BILL’S BEST CHILI adapted from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
2 pounds chili ground beef
1 pound stew beef, cut into about one inch chunks
1/3 pound bacon, diced in small pieces
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
1 teaspoon dried mustard (optional)
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
4.5 ounce can chopped green chilies
28 ounces peeled Plum Tomatoes
12 ounces tomato paste
three (16 oz) cans kidney beans (optional)
2 cups beef broth
2 cups water
GARNISHES: Shredded cheese, sour cream, onions, etc…
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the meats, pepper, and onion, and cook until the meat is browned and the vegetables are tender.
- Drain any collected grease and liquid.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in the chili powder, dried mustard, crushed red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chilies, tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans, and about two cups of water, and simmer on low for at least 2 hours, or put into a crockpot on low for at least 4 hours. Add additional water, as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve with desired toppings.