TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN STYLE GREEN BEANS akin to RAZOOS – serves 4
These green beans are cooked low and slow until soft and tender in a bacon-infused broth making them super yummy and a family favorite for any holiday.
3 slices bacon, diced
1 pounds green beans ends snapped off and longer beans snapped in half
1 large shallot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon fresh ground Himalayan Pink salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon butter
- In a large skillet brown and crisp bacon. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to drain on paper toweling.
- Add shallot and garlic to skillet, sautéing until fragrant.
- Add green beans, water, chicken broth and seasonings to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Drain beans and add butter.
- Check beans for seasoning and add extra salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with bacon and toss to distribute the bacon and butter.
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage