My brother got me a wonderful new cook book for Christmas, THE IMMEASURABLE PLACE – FOOD AND FARMING FROM THE EDGE OF WILDERNESS by BLAKE SPALDING & JENNIFER CASTLE and LAVINA SPALDING. He even had it signed for me. I read it from cover to cover already and made a list of 46 recipes I want to make.
I started with this one recipe since I can eat carrots mushed up and we LOVED the flavor! I had 3 slices of crumbled bacon leftover from a recipe I took to Christmas Eve at a friend’s house that I sprinkled over the carrots. I really think they enhanced the flavor a lot. So, we’ll start with several more next month when I can eat “regular” food again!
CANDIED MAPLE THYME CARROTS ala HELL’S BACKBONE GRILL
2 pounds carrots, sliced on an angle
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoon FRESH ground salt
2 teaspoons FRESH ground black pepper
1 LARGE clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup PURE maple syrup
2 sprigs FRESH thyme
3 slices bacon, diced and browned crisp
- In a small saucepan whisk together everything EXCEPT the carrots, bacon and thyme, heating until well blended, syrupy and warmed through.
- Remove from heat and toss with carrots until they are well coated.
- Pour into a baking dish.
- Nestle the thyme among the carrots.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and back another 15 minutes until carrots are cooked through and caramelized.
Linking up to FULL Plate Thursday.