My brother got me a wonderful new cook book for Christmas, THE IMMEASURABLE PLACE – FOOD AND FARMING FROM THE EDGE OF WILDERNESS by BLAKE SPALDING & JENNIFER CASTLE and LAVINA SPALDING. He even had it signed for me. I read it from cover to cover already and made a list of 46 recipes I want to make.
I started with this one recipe since I can eat carrots mushed up and we LOVED the flavor! I had 3 slices of crumbled bacon leftover from a recipe I took to Christmas Eve at a friend’s house that I sprinkled over the carrots. I really think they enhanced the flavor a lot. So, we’ll start with several more next month when I can eat “regular” food again!
CANDIED MAPLE THYME CARROTS ala HELL’S BACKBONE GRILL
2 pounds carrots, sliced on an angle
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoon FRESH ground salt
2 teaspoons FRESH ground black pepper
1 LARGE clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup PURE maple syrup
2 sprigs FRESH thyme
3 slices bacon, diced and browned crisp
- In a small saucepan whisk together everything EXCEPT the carrots, bacon and thyme, heating until well blended, syrupy and warmed through.
- Remove from heat and toss with carrots until they are well coated.
- Pour into a baking dish.
- Nestle the thyme among the carrots.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon, cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and back another 15 minutes until carrots are cooked through and caramelized.
Linking up to FULL Plate Thursday.
Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday in 2017. Wishing you the very best in 2018 and hope to see you soon.
Happy New Year!