4 LARGE eggs
1 1/2 cups WHOLE milk
3/4-1 teaspoon salt (I like a Himalayan sea salt)
A PINCH of FRESH ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
- Warm the eggs by placing them UN-CRACKED in a medium bowl and cover with hot water (as hot as your tap will go). Let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Move one oven rack to a lowest position so tops don’t touch the shelf above as they grow. Move the other oven rack up to the top and place a baking sheet on it to shield your popovers from the direct heating elements and prevent them from getting too dark.
- Grease the popover pan thoroughly inside each cup as well as around the top edges.
- With your whisk, beat together the eggs, milk and salt until they are combined. The yolks should be completely blended in.
- Add the flour and whisk until the mixture is frothy and all large lumps are gone.
- Quickly stir in the melted butter.
- Divide the batter between the prepared popover cups. They should be about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake the popovers for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350°. Bake for another 10 or 15 minutes. The popovers will be very golden brown.
- Serve immediately and enjoy them warm!
- DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN until the end!
This recipe is adapted from the King Arthur recipe for Popovers.