Years ago I found this awesome new jello salad recipe over at Mennonite Girls Can Cook called Special Salad. This quickly became a new family favorite! We have even given it a new name and a few changes for our family.
1 LARGE box orange jello (next time we’re going to try wild strawberry)**
1 LARGE box lemon jello (we used pineapple)**
3 bananas, sliced (next time we’re going to use 2 and add a kiwi)
1/2 bag mini marshmallows
1/2 pint whipping cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup pineapple juice*
3/4 cup FINELY grated cheddar cheese
1 small can mandarin orange segments, well drained, reserving juice (we used a large can)
1- 14 ounce can crushed pineapple, *well drained but reserving the juice and adding enough of the mandarin orange
juice to make 1 cup
- Mix the two boxes of jello powder together in a large glass mixing bowl and stir in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water. Mix well until jello has dissolved.
- Add 2 cups of cold water.
- Place mixture in the refrigerator until partially set.
- Mix together the orange segments, pineapple and banana slices.
- Fold into the partially set jello.
- If using individual or multiple serving dishes, portion it at this time.
- Top the jello-fruit mixture with 1/2 bag mini white marshmallows and then put jello back in fridge.
- Whip together the whipping cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and vanilla until thick, cover and place in fridge.
- Whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, *1 cup pineapple juice, egg and flour together in a small sauce pan, stirring constantly until thick..
- Cool this mixture completely and then fold in the whipped cream mixture.
- Spread over the marshmallow mixture.
- Layer the 3/4 cup of cheddar cheese on the top.
- Return to the refrigerator and chill thoroughly.
NOTE**: This recipe originally called for orange and lemon Jell-o. I play with the flavors ALL the time. This time I used lemon, orange crush and strawberry banana small boxes in lieu of the 2 LARGE boxes with delightful results.
Submitted to FULL PLATE THURSDAY @Miz Helen’s Country Cottage.
Now there is much debate over Gran’s cranberry salad recipe, but one thing was for sure, she’d have to make a double batch, one for my mom and aunt and another for everyone else. Now while I usually helped prepare the above recipe, I hated it!! One year she even decided the grapes needed to be peeled – need I say more? I much prefer the recipe below that is a FUN version of hers. Shhhh, don’t tell anyone, but I have been known to eat a whole batch by myself. In my defense it was while I wasn’t feeling good and had a sore throat.
GRAN’S HOLIDAY SALAD aka FESTIVE CRAN PINEAPPLE JELLO
1 package (3 ounces) cherry Jell-o
1 package (3 ounces) black cherry Jell-o
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 can (14 ounces) whole berry cranberry sauce
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
2 cups seedless green grapes, quartered
chopped pecans (optional)
- Dissolve the jell-o in the boiling water in a large bowl.
- Fold in the pineapple and cranberry sauce.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Fold in grapes and pecans if desired.
- Refrigerate until firm.