This is Am’s last Sunday with us so she’ll be doing the Sunday cooking again. Today she made Pot Roast, CheesyAu Gratin Potatoes, Glazed Carrots, Home made Apple Sauce and Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
1/2 bag baby carrots
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
scant 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Clean carrots and slice diagonally in half.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Saute’ carrots until tender.
- Add brown sugar and cook several minutes, stirring constantly so sugar doesn’t burn.
- Add syrup and coat well.
- Cook until syrup is warm and carrots are well coated.
BANANA RAISIN NUT BREAD OR CAKE
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, 1/2 soft & 1/2 melted
2 jumbo eggs
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup golden raisins, currants or craisins
1/2 cup crushed walnuts
2 large, RIPE bananas
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Combine the melted butter, brown sugar and bananas in a sauce pan.
- Cook until smooth and then add nuts and raisins.
- Stir until well coated & set aside to cool.
- Cream softened butter, sugar and eggs until fluffy.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add this to the creamed mixture gradually until well blended.
- Add cooled banana mixture.
- Pour into greased and floured pan(s)*
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45+ minutes.
*This recipe will make 2 large loaves or 1 cake. If making bread, skip the frosting.
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
juice of 1 small lemon
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla. Beat until blended.
- Add powdered sugar gradually until well blended and smooth.
- Refrigerate 1 hour to set icing before serving.
HOME MADE APPLE SAUCE
5 large Apples (I like Pink Lady or Braeburns)
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 can peach nectar (Papaya or pineapple are good too)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
- In a large sauce pan pour nectar over raisins and let sit while you prepare apples.
- Wash, core, peel and chop apples.
- Add water to sauce pan and stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Add cinnamon and mix well.
- Add apples and cook over medium heat until until apples are tender and mush easily.
- Mush to desired consistency.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool and chill.
- Can be kept in refrigerator for a week though it never lasts that long around here. When my apples are at the height of the season and falling off the tree I make this in huge batches and put it up in canning jars for the following year.
I do the memes: Menu Plan Monday hosted by Laura at I’m an Organizing Junkie, Favorite Ingredient Friday hosted by Kathryn at Overwhelmed with Joy, Freezer Food Friday hosted by MJ at mjpuzzlemom, Scrumptious Sunday hosted by Meredith at Mercedes Rocks, Tasty Thursday hosted by Pumpkin Patch, Watchin’ What We Eat hosted by Lorie at Honey I Shrank Myself and Slow Cooking Thursday hosted by Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom. Doing them all make great additions to help keeping me on track and finding so new recipes!
Hubby would love the applesauce… well heck, he’d love it all, but I don’t make homemade applesauce often.
Am did a fantastic job, she should be very proud of herself!
Your daughter is so talented! I am loving the cake-yummy! I believe I will try to cook more in class this year-maybe-if time permits. We’ll see!
Good grief, now I’m starving….she did an awesome job and the food is making me drool.
I’m not sure what a roast joint is, but it does sound the same except we add the wine and bouillon mix. Try this site for a better explanation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_roast
Ok I’m from the UK. What exactly is a pot roast? We do a roast joint in a roasting tin which means it sits in its own juices while cooking. Is this what you do with yours?
I must get into the kitchen and try some of your recipes.
Looks like she did an excellent job! The food looks delicious!
I will have to start doing monday menu plans. I have to say i have been going to the store for groceries and we still don’t have enough for meals for the week so menu planning is a must. So I might try to do this later today after I come up with a menu lol