CARAMEL NUT FRENCH TOAST
3/4 cup packed brown sugar + 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup maple sugar
1/2 cup butter + enough to butter the bread
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon instant coffee , ground extra fine
1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans, divided in half
16 slices thick French bread
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons PURE vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
OPTIONAL: 4 ounces cream cheese, cold
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with PURE.
- In a saucepan melt the 1/2 cup butter and maple syrup.
- Add the 3/4 cup brown sugar, maple sugar and ground instant coffee.
- Cook over medium heat until the sugars are dissolved and the mixture is a smooth consistency.
- Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle with half of the nuts.
- Lightly butter the bread slices with a very thin layer of butter.
- Top with half of the bread slices* butter side up, cutting as necessary to fit accordingly.
- If using the cream cheese, slice it thin and layer over the bread slices.
- Sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar and nuts.
- Layer the remaining bread slices* over nut layer, butter side down.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla, milk, whipping cream and sugar.
- Pour over top of the bread, pressing down as necessary so bread abrobs the egg mixture.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake uncovered 40 minutes until golden in color and slightly puffy.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Invert each piece onto a plate so caramel goo drizzles over sides. Be sure and scoop out a little extra goo from the bottom of the pan to drizzle over top of each piece For a group brunch invert the entire pan at once onto a serving platter.
*By lining up the bread pieces identically on each layer, you end up with easier to cut pieces and prettier looking pieces when served individually.