Thank you Janet and Megan for resurrecting it!
- Buttermilk ~ Need it for a recipe and don’t have any? Just add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and you have instant buttermilk.
- Mushrooms ~ Need them finely sliced? Put them in the freezer for 5 minutes before slicing to firm them up, making it easier to get an even thin slice.
- Stubborn Cork? ~ Wrap the neck of the bottle with a hot towel. This will expand the glass, but not the cork, making it easier to pull the cork out in one move.
- Puddle Free Cheesecake ~ Before adding the warm topping, freeze the cheesecake for an hour before. Doing this will make the warm sauce stop about 1/2 way down as it encounters the cold surface.
- Over baked bread ~ poke a few holes in the top with a skewer and drizzle honey, apple juice or maple syrup over the holes. Let sit for an hour or so before slicing.
- Defatting ~ Do you want to get the unwanted fat off the top of your soup or stew? Place a couple of ice cubes in a slotted spoon and skim the top. The ice cubes will attract the fat like a magnet. OR you can use a slice of white bread and float it on top. It too works like a magnet to attract the grease and fat.
- Chewy cookies ~ More is better! Add a couple extra tablespoons of butter more than the recipe calls for to make chewy cookies.
- Non-soggy pie crust ~ To keep your pie crust crisper (especially when transporting it to a potluck or such), paint a thin layer of melted chocolate on the cooked and cooled pie crust. Allow the chocolate to col and then add your fillings.
- Lemon Wedges ~ To keep lemon wedges from squirting everywhere, slit each slice in three places to break down the membrane so the juice won’t squirt out so forcefully. Plus you get all the juice from each slice.
- Sweeter Cake Pan Coating ~ After greasing your cake pan use sugar instead of flour for a sweeter coating that’s sticks better and clumps less.
- Pasta Filler ~ Use a ziploc bag to first mix your pasta filler and then snip the end off to make a pastry bag to fill manicotti or jumbo shells.
- Perfect slicer ~ If your freeze strawberries or mushrooms for a few minutes before slicing and then use an egg slicer you’ll have perfect slices every time.
- Easy Cake Cutting ~ For smooth and even pieces with no clumping, dip your cutting knife in a tall glass of hot water before each slice.