I love apples – all apples. There I said it. Who can resist a slice of hot apple pie? Hubby want dutch apple, FIL wanted a turnover and I just wanted apples. So I dug into my files and found 3 recipes from grams, a vintage magazine and an old friend. I had never made any of these. Mainly because alone they weren’t all that interesting. They needed some UMPF! so I combined the parts I liked best from all three and came up with my version of Sour Cream Dutch Apple Pie. Together they were awesome.
SOUR CREAM DUTCH APPLE PIE
SOUR CREAM DUTCH APPLE PIE
3+ cups apples, cored, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1 small egg, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream (not light)
9 inch pastry shell, pre-baked and cooled
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, sliced extremely thin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Chop the apples and combine with just enough lemon juice to coat and prevent browning in large bowl.
- In a small bowl sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Fold in the sour cream, egg, vanilla and maple extract until well blended.
- Fold the sour cream mixture into the apples until well coated.
- Carefully pour into the pie shell, mounding towards the center.
- Toss together the topping ingredients until well blended.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the apple mound.
- Lay the pieces of butter all over the top.
- Bake 30 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Best served with ice cream or fresh whipped cream. If you want to be really decadent try it with Caramel Sauce.
Magazine Mondays are hosted by Ivonne at Cream Puffs in Venice
Cooking with Chaya, Try A New Recipe day, Save Room for Desserts
& What Did you Bake Today are hosted at OUR KrAzY kitchen
Vintage Recipe Thursday is hosted by Joy at Joy of desserts
That pie recipe sounds so delicious, Tamy! We really enjoy apple desserts in our home, too.
That pie is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Very nice, Tamy! This is the perfect recipe for this time of year.
Tammy – I am glad I could make your day.
Martha – ABSOLUTELY!
Queen B – thanks for the tip, I can’t wait to try them.
Jacque – that is how I live! Love making up new combos.
Chaya – I absolutely agree!
Dave – I prefer moderation too and a small piece is good for you. The apples outnumber the sugar 3:1!
Tamy, you are killing my diet…er moderation plans
This looks scrumptious. There is something about apples that works with everything.
ooh my, that does look delicious!! I love coming up with a new recipe from a few others.
Aloooooooooooha!, This pie is right up my alley you go girl! Het have you tried the Honey Crisp apple out of Washington sold at Cosco? Truly “THE” BEST Apples I have ever encountered. puts fiji to shame. have not tried cooking with them yet,They are about 11.99 for a dozen and my teenagers gobble them faster than I can keep them in the house! I can’t wait to try this recipe…I am salivating…great post
aloha wishes for a peaceful Sunday
This looks delicious! Are you trying to tempt me Tamy?!! 😉
looking at that pie gave me a yumyumasm.
Okay…my mouth is watering…and I am not even hungry…
Comments are closed.