CHICKEN ala BAD DAY
3 tablespoons butter
2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 large bunch green onions, sliced thin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Generously salt and pepper the chicken pieces.
- Saute’ the onions and garlic until they soften and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces until golden brown on both sides.
- Pour in vinegars and molasses.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chicken is well glazed. I removed the chicken and then added mushrooms and green beans and sauteed them in the remaining sauce creating a great accompanying vegetable.
Prepare garlic vinegar
5 garlic cloves
½ a quart of boiling white wine vinegar
1½ tablespoons of peppercorns
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
+/-5 tablespoons blackstrap molasses (a spiritous mixture of rum and molasses)
- Add garlic and peppercorns to vinegar and let it stand for 3 weeks.
- After 3 weeks, add onion powder and ground ginger to 1¾ cups of the strained garlic vinegar.
- Next add +/-5 tablespoons. Take care to add the blackstrap based on how sour or sweet you want it to be.
This soy sauce alternative is actually the best choice for those who are on a low sodium diet owing to blood pressure or cardiovascular issues and also makes way for the health benefits of blackstrap molasses which includes regularization of bowel movement, arthritic pain relief and restoration of color to graying hair.