Now for something fun and easy – cleaning the silver. Yep, you heard me right, cleaning the silver. FIL wanted the silver polished. I have news for you, I don’t polish silver! I even sold my own and replaced it with gorgeous stainless, but I found this quick, easy AND super inexpensive recipe for cleaning silver! Here is the before picture:
Hubby helped as I have been a bit busy. He is trying to show you the instantaneous results he achieved with this formula below.
per large piece or place setting you will need:
1/2 cup baking soda
1 tablespoon salt
1 large piece aluminum foil
1 non-metal sink or wash tub
- Lay large piece of foil along the bottom of the sink.
- Fill the sink with VERY HOT water.
- Swirl in the baking soda and salt until well dissolved.
- Add silver or silverplate piece.
- Watch the magic. Allow it to sit a few minutes. The chemical reaction of the salt and baking soda transfers the tarnish to the piece of foil leaving you with a pretty silver piece.
- Rinse and dry!
For heavily tarnished pieces you might have to repeat the process. Hubby also found the reaction was quicker if you wrapped the foil around the pieces.
CHALLENGE: Is your guest area ready for guests?
Yep, it works on jewelry too. I wrap each piece individually and use a glass bowl.
Oh my gosh, I love this! Seriously, I can’t wait to try it, Im so excited, lol. Thanks so much for this very informative post. Do you think this would work for jewellery? I have a silver chain and initial I’d love to dunk….I’m guessing that would be okay?
Comments are closed.