Last week, I was naive.
When temperatures hit 70 here in New York City, I made the mistake of declaring to the world (via Twitter) that it smelled like spring. In my defense, it did. It smelled like grass and flowers. Hope and limitless potential. Short sleeves and miniskirts.
I reveled in it.
Then. Came this week.
The wind had changed and all of a sudden it smelled barren. Heartless. Frigid.
It started to unnerve me after a while. The scent seeping into my pores.
And so I did the only thing I could. I stewed. I stewed until my entire house smelled of warmth. Roasted red pepper lentil sausage warmth.
Now that is something worth reveling in.
Italian Sausage and Roasted Red Pepper Lentil Stew
Serves 4, adapted from Closet Cooking
1/2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
red pepper flakes, to taste
1 cup red wine
1 cup red lentils
2 cups chicken broth
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 roasted red bell peppers, diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
parsley and feta cheese for garnish
- Cook the sausage in a large pot, breaking into crumbles with a spatula as you go. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in the same pot. Add the onion and carrots, and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the red wine and deglaze the pan. Add the sausage, lentils, chicken broth, tomatoes, roasted red bell peppers, bay leaf, oregano, and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are cooked, about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with chopped parsley and feta crumbles.
This is what I call a meal.
oh this sounds and looks amazing!
Comforting and so well coming dish ♥
This looks perfect for a chilly evening dinner. I, too, love the use of the lentils here. I’m not sure of using feta as a garnish, but that is just my preference. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.
It looks gorgeous and perfect for this weather! For a vegetarian version, I would use spiced soy granules or chunks!
Sounds perfect for a nice cold day! It’s been very chilly even here in Florida the last couple days – I don’t “do” cold, that’s why I live here ::grumble::
Nice way to fight off the effects of winter. I usually just raise my first at it and use swear words;)
When you say 2 roasted red peppers, you are talking about the kind from a jar right?
I notice that it takes 2-3 of those to equal one whole red bell pepper that I roast myself so I just wanted to make sure I get the quantity right.
Oooh, lentils and Italian sausage? Love the combination, and fortuitously, my mother is bringing me some sausage from the local Italian butcher!
What a great recipe to warm my body; I have made a resolution of cooking more often with beans, so this recipe is going file into my Must try soon.I know my husband will love it; thankyou.
Joanne – this sounds like a delicious dish for a cold day. I like everything in it.
Yummy! I love lentils, and the addition of sausage must make this fantastic (and hubby friendly)
Comments are closed.