2 tablespoons butter
1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped small
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups fresh Roma tomatoes, peeled
4 cups chicken broth
3 or 4 sprigs fresh parsley
5-10 fresh basil leaves
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Sea salt and white pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan cheese for servin
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Cook stirring often until soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and tomatoes, stirring well.
- Tie herbs together in cheesecloth and drop into the soup. This makes it easy to remove later.
- Season with sea salt and white pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove herbs and discard.
- Add whipping cream and blend until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and top with freshly grated cheese and fresh basil.
6 slices thick sourdough bread
butter, melted, enough to coat bread
½ cup Fontina Cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread slices on oven rack and bake until dry and golden.
- Melt butter in flat bowl.
- Combine cheeses in flat bowl.
- Dip first in butter and the cheese mixture.
- Bake on cookie sheet 8-10 minutes until cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Float croutons on top of soup bowls just before serving.