Pie a la Apple Serves 4
5-6 Granny Smith apples that can stand on their own
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Pie Crust (homemade or pre-made)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the top of 4 apples off and discard. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon or melon baller very carefully.
I used all of the inside of the apple that I could.
- Remove skin from remaining apple(s) and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will give you the additional filling needed to fill the four apples you are baking.
- Mix sliced apples with sugars and cinnamon in a bowl. If you prefer more or less cinnamon make adjustments as desired. Same goes for the sugar.
- Scoop sliced apples into hollow apples.
- Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips.
- I added a strip inside the top of the apple, which can be seen in the photo above.
- Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.
- Place apples in an 8×8 pan. If your apples are big you may need a bigger pan. Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.
How yummy does that look? The entire thing is edible too!
Come see me at Paper Plates and China